HOME SWEET HOME


HOMEZONE"Wow! This place looks like paradise!" was my reaction when I entered into Rukhsana's heavenly abode. Nestled in the concrete jungle of Defence is a house that stands out for its explicit beauty and elegance.
Very few people are blessed with everything they desire in life. And Rukhsana Saeed, the lady of the beautiful house is one such person. Known as the fitness guru on TV, the vivacious aerobics instructor has become a household name. Although she leads a hectic routine, she has managed to strike a balance between work and her home. Mother to three grown-up daughters, this woman flaunts the youthful exuberance that speaks for itself about her most indulgent passion, her obsessive love for exercise. "Besides aerobics and yoga, I love interior designing. But this hobby is just confined within my own home", she remarks with a chuckle.
"Each and every nook and cranny of my house is dear to my heart because it is the result of my labour HOMEZONEand aesthetic sense. Seated in her spacious drawing room soaked in royal purples and beiges, I can't help but admire the enchanting statues and carved wooden figurines displayed at one artistic corner. "Those are from Nairobi", she says with evident pride. Rukhsana, an ardent traveler, has spent her life globe-trotting and she likes to pick up dainty decoration pieces and souvenirs for her home wherever she goes. "The red vases in the niche are from Dubai, while the lamps are from Thailand. The rugs are mostly from China as I simply adore the intricate patterns on Chinese carpets. Other decoration pieces are from Bangkok and Canada", she says enthusiastically. Decorated with a fusion of so many cultures blended together, a stroll through her house seemed like a trip through wonderland. "Every article in my house is precious to my heart because I associate my travel memories with these objects. Everything has a history and the ornaments that adorn my house are a reflection of memories that I will cherish forever", Rukhsana's voice softens up with nostalgia as she recollects the past. The girlish theme of the drawing room has a magical allure to it, beige and mauve upholstery interspersed with a touch of wood and copper lends an ethnic regal touch to the place. A deep purple Velvet Sofa chair grabs my attention. "So what's the story behind this piece of furniture?" I prod her. "You see I am a moody and whimsical person. I pick up furniture that I like whether it gels in with my home decor or not. Once purchased, I revamp the room's decor to see where the furniture compliments the most. I bought this chair from a lady who designs and crafts eccentric furniture from home. I guess it was the bizarre colour that appealed to me", she shrugs casually. "After I got this lone chair in an imperial shade, I worked around this theme and based the whole drawing room on this colour combination", she adds zealously. She had thrown in cushions and velvet shawls lined with banarsi finishing in deep purple HOMEZONEto compliment the theme. "That shawl sprawled on the sofa was worn by my husband on his mehndi", she discloses her decor secrets. She bought most of her sofa sets and centre tables from Baroque as she likes their sleek and simple designs. "I am not too fond of gaudy gold furniture or too much carving.Minimal embellishment is what I prefer", she says. The elevated wooden flooring and the motive wall-paper on a facade in the drawing room adds a touch of drama to the place and the large glass window provides a picturesque view of the lush green garden. "I love open spaces as they breathe life and freshness into one's home. I noticed the variety of scintillating mirrors gleaming on the walls. "Mirrors are my favourite decor tool because they enhance the decor besides giving an illusion of space", says Rukhsana. The house is designed strategically with niches and artistic corners breaking the monotony every now and then. The eight seater dining table upholstered in a colour combination of pink and brown is tempting bait for food aficionados. A hot pink Banarsi settee enhances the oomph factor of the room and lends it a stroke of glamour. As we ascend the winding wooden staircase leading up to the airy lounge, I appreciate the array of splendid photography that catches my eye. The lounge decor is done up in a retro chic black and white theme. HOMEZONEEverything from the sofa upholstery to the rugs and the wall paint stay loyal to this theme. Elements of red and fresh green are thrown in for colour. A black and white enlarged family photograph hung on a zebra striped wall evokes fond sentiments. The beige papier-mache lamps dangle in mid-air and swing precariously with the wind, adding a funky feel to the casual room. Rukhsana's personal room is her favourite hangout in the house. "I love to relax and unwind here after a tiring day at work", she says as she sprawls herself on the maroon and off-white fluffy bed with dozens of cushions thrown in for comfort. A deep maroon velvet background serves as the focal point while a long mirror at one corner completes the languid elegance of the room. As we depart from Rukhsana's beautiful home, I compliment her for keeping every part of the house gleaming and spotless. I was surprised when she told me that every other day, she does the entire cleaning herself; right from the sweeping, mopping and dusting, all with her own hands. "It's my own home, so naturally I love caring for it myself. Besides, I feel that the best way a woman can keep herself in shape is by doing these laborious chores herself ", says a beaming Rukhsana as she waves us goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...